17 Things I’m Thankful for This Year
A time for gratitude, Thanksgiving is a holiday characterized (for most) by family and food. Pilgrims and Indians aside, it’s also a reminder to give thanks and show our gratitude each and every day through the year because you never know which day is your last.
I practice gratitude daily, keeping a list of things I’m grateful for, and I wholeheartedly believe that showing thanks can benefit our lives in some pretty amazing ways.
Some are silly, some seriously life-changing, here’s my list of the 17 things I am the most grateful for this year:
Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, from which I earn a small commission of each sale.
- Finding Allbirds, the comfiest shoes I have ever owned. My posture and body aches are eternally grateful. See what I mean here.
- Health insurance that allows me to keep up with my killer allergies at an affordable cost. In a perfect world, something this basic would be normalcy. But in America, healthcare can be costly.
- CVS Pharmacies with a drive-thru and allergy relief. Such a lifesaver when you're feeling icky because your fall allergies decided to kick your butt this year!
- Bubbles baths, complete with candles, Epsom salt, music, and hot chocolate. Relaxing in a steamy bath with Aveda Stress-Fix Bath Salt is the perfect medicine for anxiety.
- My amazing local library and Half Price Books, for the inspiration as much as the procrastination. Without you, how could I have read nearly 40 books so far this year?
- Netflix. Because sometimes we need to do nothing, and that’s okay.
- Fuzzy blankets. They’re soft and warm, and I never want to leave my bed.
- Prius hybrids. The money saved on gas continues to blow my mind. I went from an average of $100/month to $16!
- Learning how to manage my time more efficiently, live simpler, and boost my happiness each day. It’s work, it’s life, it’s amazing.
- Writing and designing Bob Cutler’s Punch Yourself in the Face book, the 25 way we screw ourselves and what you can do about it, which has been a blast to work on!
- My newly adopted dog Rocco, who makes my life brighter every time I see that cute little face staring up at me.
- Exploring nature and Rocky Mountain National Park, forever wonderful. Who knew hiking could really be more like a fun nature walk?!
- Quitting smoking and rewriting habits/triggers. A difficult habit to quit, but I still can’t believe I smoked in the first place. Nicotine patches helped me get through the first few weeks, and the rest was a breeze.
- My husband, my lover, and my partner through it all. Fuzzy face, we make a pretty good team. I love you to Pluto and back.
- Hot tea, hot chocolate, coffee, and just about all hot beverages. Yum. Need I say more?
- Mary Karr’s memoirs. Amazing books that moved me to tears. If you haven’t checked these out yet, start with The Liar’s Club.
- The ability to be thankful and have things to be thankful for each day. Showing gratitude isn’t just for one day a year!
What are you thankful for this year? Let me know in the comments below.
P.S. If you want to practice gratitude more often, here's a simple way you can add more gratitude to your day.